Monday, May 17, 2021

Time

 You tell me death is final night

The end of choosing wrong from right.


I ask what then if God, the One

In whose hands all the sands of time do run,

When no last rites are said, no holding hand

Stands by to wrest the sinner's prayer from dying voice -

What if He breathes upon those last few grains of sand

Provides the space, as needed, for the choice?


Must Purgat'ry at all costs be denied -

Semantics versus Lord of Earth and Sky?


For all those who now face their final night

Shall not the judge of all the world do right?


2 comments:

Irish Dodo said...

Wow! Did you write this poem? I have at times said that poetry is not my scene but, by this I mean the sort of poetry that does not touch my soul. Which yours did.

Shasta said...

I did - thanks :)